RH recommends using Windows?

Trond Eivind Glomsrød teg at pvv.org
Tue Nov 4 23:05:03 UTC 2003

marcos colome wrote:

>Rehat has abandoned the desktop and the people that
>made them a great distro

Creating Fedora is hardly abandoning them... if anything, it invites to more
community participation.

> but remember that Microsoft
>made all they billions from the Home consumers not
>from the corporate world

An incredible profit margin? Sure. But business is where they make a
real killing...
looked at the size and profit margin of their office section lately? And
the prices
of the professional edition of windows (which is what you need for
anyone using
windows in business these days, the network authentication and CIFS was
gutted
from the home edition and works well as a market segmentation mechanism)
and
windows servers (with extra fees for clients accessing them) isn't low
either.

Business and home user segments can both be profitable, but have
different needs.
Red Hat doesn't have the size to do everything at once, and the
unability to have it
work with all sorts of hardware is a big problem (and support generator)
in the home
market. Sure, I know what to look for... and to check it first on the
web, buy it
afterwards. That doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't already have
a big investment
in hardware they want to continue working... or that they won't expect
hardware they
pick up for whatever reason in a store 'look! a cool and cheap digital
camera!' to just
work either. And that's not really an ureasonable expectation either, IMHO.
Same applies to software... people like to go down to a store, buy
programs doing what
they want and just use it... things like turbotax.

This is getting pretty off topic for the list, so I'll end my
contribution to the thread here.