RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!

PatrickM patrickm at myway.com
Wed Nov 5 10:38:18 UTC 2003

 Very nicely put Gerald!! Being new to Linux (2 months+) meant finding out the things you mentioned.Fortunately, I can find my way around and got passed any surprises I discovered (nice example: installing my Nvdia card). What did strike me, is that altough there is a nice graphical layer, much (I should say everything) can/needs to be done by command line (of course depending what you want to do).  Nevertheless, being converted from a true Windows freak to a commited (newbie) Linux user, I would not have stayed with Windows if I knew then what I know know. And Fedora is looking like a great step into a new world, more Linux orientated than it is now... Just my thoughts... PatrickM  --- On Wed 11/05, Gerald Thompson < gerald at zorahlia.com > wrote:From: Gerald Thompson [mailto: gerald at zorahlia.com]To: fedora-test-list at redhat.comDate: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 01:22:22 -0700Subject: RE: RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!I consider myself fairly new to Linux and what I ha!
ve found already is analmost zealous religious need in the Linux community to keep as much commandline based as possible. Because people with technical expertise find itfaster to work direct from the command line they have trouble puttingthemselves back into the end user mindset. Desktop software like Windows XPand MAC OS X are designed with end user desktop users in mind........Another reason Linux is so hard for beginners is archaic documentation andin some cases archaic commands. I am going to use an example from Emacsdocumentation. In the Emacs documentation they talk about keystrokecommands and using the META key. Even though a person would be sorelypressed to even find a computer that has a key labelled META, they don'tupdate the documentation to say ALT. They just put an addendum at thebeginning mentioning that META is the same as ALT. For a new computer userthis is totally confusing and they will never use Emacs because of it. Newusers like their documentation to be !
clear and concise throughout, not tohave a short explanation !
at the beginning explaining the inconsistencies youwill find in the rest of the documentation........If you have a novice computer user friend, don't push them into Linux, forpeople who just want to turn their computer on and have a friendly easy touse graphic interface they are better off with Win XP and MAC OS X. If youhave a friend who has already been using Win XP or MAC OS X and they arelooking for something that will give them more power and control over theirOS then obviously Linux is a great suggestion for them....Sincerely,Gerald Thompson--fedora-test-list mailing listfedora-test-list at redhat.comhttp://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-test-list