Pain with newest up2date RPM's

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Nov 5 12:14:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:25:20PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > Would be a major lobbying effort to get every (relevant) internet-aware
> > program to agree using a single proxy configuration location + format of
> > course.. but would be well worth the effort I think. Ok Gnome2 has a
> > common place to speficy it but that's "hidden" in gconf instead of a plain
> > old textfile making it not-so-nice for things like wget etc.
>
>   the historical way has been the http_proxy environment variable.

Sure, most commandline (and many other programs as well) support
http_proxy, but then there are gazillion of things which don't, and
for autoproxy configuration there's no similar thing so you end up parsing
your autoproxy config into /etc/profile.d/proxy.sh & the like.. Of course
whether an application supports autoproxy configuration is an different
issue entirely.

> > > I will investigate the proxy setting interface since I saw a bugzilla
> > > bug about this.
> >
> > Since up2date and rhn-applet are so closely related (at least seemingly so
> > to the user) it'd be nice if at least those would share the settings..
>
>   we are trying to solve the issue. But one program runs as root,
> the other under the user account, there have been security issues which
> historically led to have separate file,

/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date might've well been non-world readable if memory
serves, if that's what you mean.

	- Panu -