[OT] Re: nVidia installer needs kernel-source to compile driver

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 5 16:07:08 UTC 2003

Albert DE WINT said:
>> Kernel-source is only needed for such
>> things as the test releases, or non-stock kernels, which are not being
>> run by newbies.
>
> I know about newbies that run a non stock-kernel after 'up2date'
> suggested to upgrade the kernel, which they did.

IIRC nVidia makes installers for those, too.

>>  I don't know for certain, but I assume that nvidia
>> will be releasing versions of their modules for Fedora Core 1 kernels,
>> upon FC1's release.  Therefore, what you request is completely
>> unnecessary.
>
> Ok, so let's put our faith in the hands of nVidia.

And using a binary driver from nVidia isn't?

>> This is off-topic for this list.
>
> Sorry for having broken your concentration. I was not aware of another
> list more suitable for this topic.  I will take your hint seriously and
> refrain from any furhter comments.

I would suggest the fedora-list, as this doesn't have much to do with the
test releases.  Searching the archives you will also find resistance to
doing anything to make it easier for people to install drivers that are
impossible to troubleshoot.

--
William Hooper