Changes to named

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 02:20:22 UTC 2003

On Nov  5, 2003, "Neal D. Becker" <nbecker at hns.com> wrote:

> I see in release notes that the permissions/ownerships of named files have
> changed.  Is it OK to install (clean), then restore my
> backed-up /var/lib/named and /etc/named.conf, or will I have to change
> ownerships/permissions?

Err...  Release Notes anyone?

     o The BIND nameserver has had its security tightened. The /var/named/
       directory is no longer owned by "named", but rather by "root". Slave
       zone files should now be stored in the new /var/named/slaves/
       directory, which is owned by "named". In addition, a new bind-chroot
       package makes it possible to run the named daemon in a chroot() "jail"
       (located in /var/named/chroot/) for greater security.