xscreensaver gl problem

Fri Nov 7 18:02:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 07:13, David Eduardo Gomez Noguera wrote:
> Hello.
> I am having problems with xscreensaver gl*** savers.
> They work fine the first time, but will display a blank screen any
> subsequent time unless I restart the daemon, or change the "Install
> Colormat" option.
> I am using the nvidia drivers, but I dont think thats the problem.

Actually, that is the problem. Without getting into details, there is an
issue with the NVidia driver installation and the Mesa libGL libraries.
You can search the archives for more details if you wish.

Do this as root from a non-X boot (ie. runlevel 3):

rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run --add-this-kernel
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2-custom.run

The first line removes the Mesa-libGL RPM to resolve the GL library
problems. Do not remove the Mesa-libGLU RPM (note the GL*U*), that needs
to stay.

The second line runs the NVidia installer and gets around the kernel/gcc
version incompatibility issue. It creates the 'custom' version, which
you then run in line 3.

This has worked each and every time that I have done it, which is after
each kernel upgrade and any XFree86 updates. Be sure to do this in the
same sequence, first removing the libGL RPM before running the NVidia
installer steps.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz