Fedora 1 Intallation and post installation

marcos colome mcolome1 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 16:06:44 UTC 2003

I was able to install Fedora Core 1 and It selected
custom and everything was installed perfectly, only
two
mistakes were indicated when it was installing KDE,
but
I retry again and they were installed, all three CD
disks
were installed on a Pentium 4, 800 FSD, using a 875PE
intel chipset, with Paralell IDE hard drive, and one
SATA
HD. I have tested for several hours and it had worked
perfectly, much better than RedHat 9. The only thing
is
that it installed using 640X 840 resolution and the
fonts
shown on the GRUB background are a little bigger than
600X800 ,it is fine. I did install the Nvidia drivers
and I was able to adjust the resolution of the
Video Card. When I use Konqueror browser and I go to a
Spanish Website the letters are not complete,
sometimes
the letter "a", or "d" become a square box, but if I
use Mozilla browser it will display all the letters of
the alphabets perfectly, Redhat had the same problem
in prior versions, I did not have kind of problems
with
Suse, Mandrake, or Libranet, but it can be corrected
by
adjusting KDE . Frankly I prefer this version to the
prior versions of Redhat including RH9, it has very
nice colors and it is fast, it will make errors
because
it has not been perfected yet.
I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate
the developers of the Fedora Project and Redhat for
the
job that they have done. At the beginning of the move
made by Redhat I thought that they were turning the
back on the consumers and the public but now I am able
to see the directions, probably Fedora can become one
of the best Linux desktop and probably the biggest
competitor of Microsoft Windows. Redhat is doing what
they do best: Servers and business software, and they
have passed the challengers to us, to make a better
desktop software.
I think that instead of critizing Fedora for any
little
mistake or errors it is better to help them to correct
it and report the bugs in a proper manner. All the
developers are doing this job because they love Linux
and want to put their creativity into practice, we
should give them more incentives to continue working
and doing a better job, if they have to do two or
three
releases every year, that is fine with me, it will
mean
that they are working to make a better project and are
trying to go according to the development of the
Kernell, KDE, Gnome, etc.
I was also able to install Fedora on a dual processors
enviroment and it works perfect, it did not make any
errors during the installation as it did with one
single processor and it is running like a champion, it
looks very professional and very stable.
I had certain difficulties to download the 3 CD iso,
because the website sometimes was not connecting, but
probably it was overloaded, I did not have any problem
to correct them using Roxio 6, since I downloaded into
a Microsoft windows box, the disk #1 booted properly (
640X800 resolution )
I have Suse 9 professional in another computer and I
honestly prefer Fedora, it has better Fonts and it
makes less mistakes and it is faster and it is much
better than Windows XP professional in all aspects,
at least we do not have to go thru the interrogation
made by Microsoft after you pay $300.OO for a software
that is not yours, you are justing renting the
license.

My congratulation to the developers of FEDORA.

Marcos