very very frustrated with up2date/fedora problems

Ryan ruinaudio at comcast.net
Sat Nov 15 05:24:59 UTC 2003

Hi list,

I added the updates directory to my /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file.
Ran up2date (went smoothly) rebooted my computer and;

-gdm won't work "Can't recognize image format png"
-evolution won't launch "GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Can not open pixbuf
loader module file '/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders: No such file or
directory"
-desktop icons and menu icons are all red "X's"

I remember this happened once before but I don't remember the fix.  Why
oh why is running up2date a nail biting experience?  How can updating
fedora result in an unusable system so frequently?

As far as I know up2date didn't uninstall anything.  The following image
libraries are installed...
libpng-1.2.2-17
libpng10-devel-1.0.13-9
libpng-devel-1.2.2-17
libpng10-1.0.13-9
gtk2-2.2.4-5.1
pygtk2-2.0.0-1
gtk2-engines-2.2.0-3
gtk2-devel-2.2.4-5.1
libjpeg-6b-29
libjpeg-devel-6b-29
ImageMagick-5.5.6-5

Any thoughts on how I can un-break fedora?

Btw, kde seems to be working ok though.

help appreciated,
-ry