Fedora Core 1 Test Update: postgresql-7.3.4-10

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Nov 21 20:33:11 UTC 2003

On Friday 21 November 2003 03:18 pm, David Jee wrote:
> Tom Lane would be the best person to ask, but AFAIK, most (if not all)
> of the backports are from 7.4.

Ok.  I can ask him,

> > I released 7.4 upstream packages today, based on the work Kaj did, and
> > built for Fedora Core.  They have trouble building on older dists, but
> > I'm working on that.

> Great!  I'll have a look at them very shortly.  I'm not sure though if I
> want to release a 7.4 update for Fedora Core 1, due to data
> incompatibility reasons.  We usually don't jump major versions within a
> distro, but perhaps this rule can be relaxed for Fedora.  In any case,
> the 7.4 packages will go into Fedora Core 2.

My recommendation at this point is to NOT release an official update to
PostgreSQL 7.4 exactly because of the data incompatibility.  If people want
PostgreSQL 7.4 RPMs on their FC1, they can traipse over to
ftp.postgresql.org.... :-)

Maybe by the time FC2 is out I can have the multiversion install stuff
working.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology