Fedora Core 1 Test Update: postgresql-7.3.4-10

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 18:19:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 07:41:22AM -0500, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 02:22, Bruce A. Locke wrote:
> > I'm sure I'm going to get smacked for this but... why is this going in
> > as a Fedora 1 update?  This description makes it sound like a major
> > feature upgrade which quite frankly should not be an 'update' for a
> > released version.
> >
> > Am I reading too much into this or way off base?
>
> Hopefully I'm not smacking you, but I do somewhat disagree.

Exactly, I wouldn't want to smack Bruce at all; it's appropriate
to ask questions and clarify intent.

> To me, one of the virtues of Fedora is that the idea that the feature
> set is not locked down during the course of a release. This mostly
> happens because Fedora will do less backporting, so newer features will
> 'naturally' drift in . So yes, this is odd in that the features come in
> by way of backporting. But I won't refuse the gift.
>
> When I object, is when the feature additions can be expected to cause
> incompatibilities. So as long as the result is stable and the backported
> features do not require an initdb, I'm happy.

Karl, you have stated our intent very well.

We want to avoid gratuitous incompatibility within a release, but we
want to roll new functionality forward when it is consistent with
our other goals, such as robustness.

We wouldn't have gone off and specifically created a bunch of 7.4
backports for postgresql to put into Fedora Core.  However, because
the packages existed anyway, were being released for Fedora Core
anyway, were comprised of backports of stuff already accepted into
upstream postgresql development, and were data-compatible with the
older packags, it made sense to update them.  Certainly more sense
than maintaining two divergent package sets built off slightly
different code.

Thanks,

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/