anaconda performance thoughts [Re: ANNOUNCE: Severn Test 2Anaconda Updates Image Available]

Mark Howell mhowell at northlink.com
Wed Oct 1 02:14:41 UTC 2003

[snip]

> do most people install off of cd?
>
> I wish there was a way to measure that.
>
> I might be spoiled but I've gotten used to network installs.
>
> -sv

FWIW, My modus operandi for betas is this:

1) Fetch the ISOs from somewhere. With my net link this is pretty quick.

2) Burn the CDs.

3) Back up interesting stuff in my home dirs.

4) Install fresh RHL from CDs. I usually install all pkgs, call me silly.

5) Restore my home dirs.

6) Register with RHN and use up2date for distro patches. At this point I'm
very close to the vanilla distro so I have minimal maintenance overhead and
max likelihood that everything works together.

7) Fetch source or RPMs or patches for stuff I'm particularly interested in
that isn't part of the distro, such as ARM cross-compile toolchain for my
Zaurus, and if it's broken, work it till it does what I want.

8) File bugs when I find 'em (including one of them just fixed in the
anaconda update pushed out yesterday).

9) Rinse and repeat when the next release is available.

I would think that many relative newbies fiddling with the beta play this
way.

Mark.