Gnome Crashes ; /dev Files Not Created

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 5 13:04:44 UTC 2003

As of October 5, the latest set of updates from the RHN Severn channel
causes Gnome to crash messily. On my older Dell XPS T550 desktop, I get
these Gnome messages:

"The greeter program appears to be crashing. I will attempt to use a
different one."

Clicking OK yields a different logon panel, on which I attempt to logon
as an ordinary user. This yields another message:

"Cannot find or run the base session script, will try the GNOME failsafe
session for you."

Clicking OK yields this message:

"This is the Failsafe Gnome session. You will be logged into the
'Default' session of Gnome with no startup scripts run. This is only to
fix problems in your installation."

Clicking OK to this brings up the Fedora Core splash screen against a
black background.

Also, /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1, /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom1 are not
created on this machine:

$ mount /dev/cdrom
mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist

On my Sony Vaio PCG-F350 with the same updates, X hangs without any
messages being issued at all during the boot process. The only cure is
to shut down the machine with the power switch.

--
Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA