Grub stage1 file error

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Oct 6 01:10:12 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 09:58:49PM +0300, Ossama Khayaat wrote:
> Michael and Michael, thanks very much for your responses.
> I'll try to use 'parted' to check the type of partition again.
> The problem is that even when I created a GRUB boot disk, and used the
> GRUB command line to manually boot the partition, it couldn't read it.
> One more question is, say that it is a FAT16 partition,

I tried to explain that the most likely reason for the first problem
is that second one (which is really only a "problem" and trivial to
fix).

> and I want to
> convert it to ext3 without formatting. How can I do this?

If you really have on it a FAT file system then you cannot.  But if
a file system is ext3 and only a tag in a partition table shows a
"wrong type" then just fire up fdisk, or sfdisk, and simply change
it.  It is a 't' request in fdisk and 'man sfdisk' has an example
showing how to change a partition type.  After that try installing
grub again.

Here is a literal quote from 'man sfdisk':

                                    ... This option has  the  two
              very  long  forms  --print-id and --change-id.  For
              example:
                  % sfdisk --print-id /dev/hdb 5
                  6
                  % sfdisk --change-id /dev/hdb 5 83
                  OK
              first reports that /dev/hdb5 has  Id  6,  and  then
              changes that into 83.

   Michal