up2date: not very bright, is it?

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 7 21:16:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:19:52PM +0200, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> Elton Woo wrote:
> >I've just launched up2date to fetch stuff from the RHN beta channel.
> >Usually, I just "select all" ... and wer'e off! However, I had to
> >redo my selections because the "new" and "old" versions are the
> >same.
> >
> >You'd think that if up2date found that if it found that both versions
> >were the _same_ it would automatically skip the selected package(s)
> >wouldn't /shouldn't it? ... or should I enter this as an RFE?
>
> I've noticed this a few times myself too.  I found out that I had two
> versions of the same package installed.  After managing to delete the
> older version whilst making sure the files from the newer didn't get
> deleted all was well with up2date.

The best way I have found to check for dupe packages is to run "apt-get
update". It will bomb if it finds any dupes and you can proceed to
delete the bad ones from there. You don't have to upgrade via apt-get if
you want to remain "up2date pure". Why up2date does not do a similar
scan is beyond me.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca