CD locking (was Re: is magicdev evil?)

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 09:34:50 UTC 2003

I took out O_EXCL from the cd burning apps, because the errata kernels
changed their behaviour regarding to O_EXCL, so that it was impossible
to burn a CD in any case.
This has to be reworked with the kernel people.

And btw, apps accessing the device have to open with O_EXCL also...
In an ideal world, O_EXCL would block all other open attempts, so that
it is sufficient to O_EXCL with the CD burning apps... sadly there is no
such mechanism (yet?).

Harald Hoyer, Senior Software Engineer  Harald.Hoyer at redhat.de
Red Hat GmbH                       Tel. : +49-711-96437-0
D-70178 Stuttgart, Germany         Web  : http://www.redhat.de
gpg fingerprint E930 20E6 CCF8 C76C 8582  CF9F B7B7 45C2 C557 5542