redhat-config-xfree86-0.9.9-2 Traceback on a dual head ATI

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 10:00:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Mark Heslep wrote:

>Latest redhat-config-xfree86 w/ the dual head code tracebacks on a dual
>head ATI FireGL X1.  Displays:  NEC LCD 1860NX, Dell P991.
>I have X working manually with the stock 'radeon' driver but only single
>head so far;  ATI's fglrx drivers do the job for dual head though w/ no
>Xinerama - a deal breaker.  Yes the fglrx package is removed and
>lib-Mesa reinstalled for these results:
>
>$ rpm -q redhat-config-xfree86
>redhat-config-xfree86-0.9.9-2
>
>$ /sbin/lspci
>01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 NG
>[FireGL X1] (rev 80)
>01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 [FireGL X1]
>(Secondary) (rev 80)

You're partially in luck...   Miraculously, I actually have an
ATI FireGL X1 256p, and a Dell P991 monitor, however only one of
each.  The downside is that the only 2 machines I have with an
AGP Pro slot to plug the FireGL X1 beast into are an Intel
Itanium 2 box (HP zx2000), and my main workstation which is a
huge PITA to reboot, so I avoid ever changing it's video
hardware.

However, if this problem persists and is proven or proven beyond
a reasonable doubt to be a video driver problem using XFree86
4.3.0-37 or later, I'm willing to bite my tongue and put the X1
into my workstation for some debugging.

Of course, only with the OSS drivers, not the fgl ones from ATI.
;o)

Just a note, for dualhead support of any ATI, Matrox, etc.
adaptor, both device sections must contain a BusId, and it must
be identical in both sections (lots of people get this
incorrect).  Head 1 section needs a "Screen 0", and head 2 needs
"Screen 1".  I have a sample config somewhere on
people.redhat.com in ftp...

Let me know how you make out fiddling/testing. Be sure to use
4.3.0-37 or later.