Browsing Samba in Nautilus

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Thu Oct 9 20:17:39 UTC 2003

Anyone know how to get around this problem? Whenever I try to use
Nautilus to browse an SMB network, I get the following message:

Couldn't display "smb:///", because Nautilus cannot contact the SMB
master browser.
Check that an SMB server is running in the local network.

No matter what I do, I can not browse at the workgroup level via
Nautilus. Oddly enough, I can look specifically at my shares using a SMB
URL pointing to my system.

Running Windows XP in a VMware Workstation VM produces similar results.
I can see the Samba server shares (Public) if I look for it
specifically, but I can not see the workgroup or the servers in the
workgroup. A copy of my current smb.conf file follows. Ideas?

=== sample smb.conf file =====

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = spikenet
	server string = Home Computer Samba Server
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	client lanman auth = No
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	min protocol = LANMAN1
	announce version = 6.0.94
	client use spnego = No
	hostname lookups = Yes
	printcap name = cups
	os level = 65
	dns proxy = No
	ldap ssl = no
	password server = None
	printing = cups

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	writeable = yes
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[public]
	path = /opt/pub
	writeable = yes
	comment = Public Share
	guest ok = yes

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,