saving gnome session breaks it

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Fri Oct 10 14:34:31 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 09:36, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 07:05, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> > I know there are some problems with gdm and session (complains about it
> > when you login).
> >
> > With gdm-2.4.4.3-3, I tried saving current gnome session on logout.
> > After that, on every login it complaints it can't load applets, nor can
> > I add them again to panel.
> > Is this fixed with latest gdm?
>
> If you get a complaint on login, then you are in a fundamentally
> broken state and I wouldn't try to save the session, certainly.
>
> I think the session didn't get fixed until GDM 2.4.4.3-5
>
> Regards,
> 						Owen

I've been getting something similiar without doing any session saving.
There are two scenarios after logging out and then trying to log back
in.

One is similiar to Marius in that I get logged in but it complains about
not being able to load applets etc. I have to click 'don't delete' for
each applet, log out, log in from the console, kill my running processes
(usually gconfd and bonobo-activation) and then log back in.

The other scenario is that after hitting return on the password from
login, the screen goes blue, the gnome splash never appears, and I get
booted back to the login prompt. In looking at the xsession error file,
it complains about too many open files and maybe gconfd spawning too
fast. I can't remember exactly but I'll keep a copy next time.

This morning I had the first scenario. In trying to pair down the
variables, I only killed bonobo-activation and when I logged in again,
it worked.

I'd bugzilla this but I don't know which component to bugzilla it
against yet.

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |