What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Fri Oct 10 16:02:36 UTC 2003

Alan Cox wrote:
>>Perhaps I missed something. RHEL and FC will contain only GPL and GPL
>>compatible code? Limitations on commercial reuse of the code should be
>

> RHEL sometimes includes some additional non free 3rd party software
> customers require (notably Java) bundled with them. Fedora itself is
> free software (not neccesarily GPL). Third parties selling mp3 stuff or
> shipping free mp3 stuff to countries where it doesn't hit patent issues
> are simply outside Fedora itself, just like any other third party suppied
> software

This was regaurding a free, but for noncommercial use, player that has a
license for the MP3 patents. That means it's not GPL, because of the
non-commercial uses clause.

So are opensource, free ($$), apps out of the question. My understandang
is the GPL on MySQL libs (not LGLP), is keeping MySQL at an old version
too. That make some sense, since I can see people creating commercial
app that use tyhe MySQL libs. But a media player? It doesn't seam to be
the kind of thing that would be tried. It's would clearly be a derivitive.

	-Thomas