ncftp is not so nice

Jaap A. Haitsma jaap_haitsma at zonnet.nl
Sat Oct 11 19:49:31 UTC 2003

Barry K. Nathan wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 07:42:33PM +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
>
>>As soon as I do a get with ncftp of a file, all other applications
>>cannot access the internet anymore. Even ping doesn't work.
>>When the transfer has stopped everything works fine again.
>>
>>I'm running ncftp 3.1.6-1.
>>Anybody else seeing this?
>

> I haven't, but then again I haven't used ncftp in a while (except on
> systems that don't have lftp installed).
>
> Try lftp (or some other FTP client) and see if it has the same problem.
>
> Also, what speed is your Internet connection? Is it dialup or
> "broadband"?
>
> This info might help me make an educated guess as to what's going on...
>
> -Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>

I just tried gFTP. I see the same thing happening overthere. I have a
broadband connection (512kbps) with a wireless access point. I'm
connecting to a fast ftp server. So I'm getting maximum troughput
(around 50kB/s) from it. I would expect that  the TCP/IP stack would be
configured such, that other applications can still get some bandwidth if
they need it. Such that I can still read the web or fetch mail while I'm
downloading. Did the same test on Windooz XP and see the same behaviour.

Jaap