battery app using much cpu

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Oct 12 05:28:31 UTC 2003

Alan wrote:

> Yes.  It was caused on my machine by having a laptop that did not like
> acpi.  Try using apm instead and see what happens.
>
> Yes, it is a bad solution, but it worked for me...

Alan,

I've seen this happen on two Athlon laptops, one with VIA KT133 chipset,
the other with an ATI Radeon chipset.  Both laptops don't work very well
with APM, while ACPI enables a large amount of power savings and there
are zero problems unless you look at the /proc/acpi battery states.  It
seems to cause the entire machine to freeze for a fraction of a second,
last tested with 2.6.0-test6.

Warren