test 3 installation comments/questions

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Tue Oct 14 12:56:16 UTC 2003

I have done/am doing a couple of nfs installs (one using the iso images and
one with the tree).  Both seem to be going well and worked as expected.

Some comments/questions concerning the Installing packages panel (I am not
sure of the intent so I am not sure that any bugs exist).

1.  The "Remaining time" does not change very frequently (15->8->6->4->2) and
thus gives little feedback comfort.

2.  If Remaining time is displayed, then Elapsed time should also be
displayed.

3.  Interesting that for an nfs install of a vmware guest, the remaining time
proved to be fairly accurate (15 minute estimate and it took about 15 - 20
minutes).  This is a significant change.

4.  The is no package count display (total, installed, remaining).  I believe
that this would be more useful than the remaining time estimate.

5. Doing an nfs everything install across a 100M LAN, there was no initial
"Remaining time" ... then one appeared: 20 minutes ... ten minutes pass, it
is still 30 minutes with the progress bar indicated half done ... 3 minutes
pass and it not reads 25 minutes with the progress bar about 55% complete.

I understand that some feedback is very desireable so that the user knows that
the install hasn't gone off in the weeds but the current display could be
better ... I believe that package counts would be better.  On the other hand,
this is not really a big deal and I can certainly live with the existing
design.
--
Gene