Grub and `other' OS

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 14:32:33 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 09:18, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Severn is my first time using grub... I've been cowering behind
> lilo for quite a while.
>
> I'm guessing its pretty easy to do but not so clear just how to set
> up an `other' os to be started by grub.
>
> In this case its a solaris (x86) install on /dev/hda.  With past RH
> releases I've been starting it with the tried and tru lilo technique:
>
>   [..]
>   other=/dev/hda1
>           label=sol
>           table=/dev/hda
>   [...]
>
> Severn is on /dev/hdc1 and bootloader is installed in MBR of /dev/hda
> How is this done with grub?

Grub creates a file /etc/grub.conf in which the boot loader records are
listed.  For example:
=======================================
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,10)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda11
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda11
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,10)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2088.nptl)
	root (hd0,10)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2088.nptl ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-scsi
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2088.nptl.img
title DOS
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1
is the file created by a fresh install of Fedora Test 3 where I have a
windows partition on /dev/hda1 (called DOS above).

To add another OS, a similar record is added, and the next boot contains
that choice in the boot menu.  You do not have to run grub to make the
change as you do in lilo.

For a complete explanation, visit

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-grub-whatis.html

Gerry