Flash plugin for mozilla

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Oct 15 05:52:51 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 22:38, Robert L Cochran uttered:
> "I really wish RPM would tell me what package name the dependency is in
> and where to find that package so I won't have to feel like someone
> blindfolded and searching for the donkey. For extra bonus points RPM
> could optionally offer to search for and download the missing package(s)."

Thats really not the job of rpm, which is a tool to install/uninstall a given
package, or package list.  What you are asking for is the job of the package
manager tool, which sits above rpm.  yum, apt, up2date, these are all
examples of higher level management tools, while rpm itself is just the
method to get the given package into the database/file system.

Would you be shocked if I told you that Debians dpkg, the tool to install
packages, doesn't do any dep checking?  Just blindly installs.  It's up to
dselect, apt, whatever to do the dep logic and whatnot.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE	(http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team	(http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: