is anyone using any speech / dictation with Fedora?

Will Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Thu Oct 16 14:02:08 UTC 2003

I have been testing the speech (gnopernicus) which seems to have some
issues.  I installed through the graphical click installer, and it
installed but without proper dependencies.  I then uninstalled and
reinstalled from the command line, and it told me that I needed gnome
speech and a couple other rpms.  Also, it installs assuming that one has
IBM Viavoice.  Installing festival after the fact does not register the
festival voices with gnopernicus.  If you uninstall gnopernicus, install
festival, and then reinstall gnopernicus, it starts speaking.

Mozilla is still not speech enabled.  I plan on testing the new gnome
browser.