LILO

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Mon Oct 20 03:28:11 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 01:05:55PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> And a sad thing it is, too, for those of us requiring eyes-free booting
> options.

> Grub may be a step forward in many ways, but it's a step backwards for
> the eyes-free user at this time.

This isn't correct. Grub has a command line mode. Just push 'c'. Grub
also supports installation via a serial line, which would allow for
external text to speach boxes to function. As far as I know, LILO never
supporter braille displays.

My father is a blind Linux user (he is the current maintainer of BRLTTY,
for reference) who uses grub as a boot loader.

If you are talking about headless booting (as opposed to blind users),
I suspect that this is easy to configure as well with grub...

Why would you *not* use grub? Take a look at the features it provides
far above and beyond what lilo provides...

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...