LILO

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Oct 20 16:05:17 UTC 2003

Mark Mielke writes:
> From: Mark Mielke <mark at mark.mielke.cc>
>
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 01:05:55PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > And a sad thing it is, too, for those of us requiring eyes-free booting
> > options.
>
> > Grub may be a step forward in many ways, but it's a step backwards for
> > the eyes-free user at this time.
>
> This isn't correct. Grub has a command line mode. Just push 'c'. Grub
> also supports installation via a serial line, which would allow for
> external text to speach boxes to function. As far as I know, LILO never
> supporter braille displays.
>
> My father is a blind Linux user (he is the current maintainer of BRLTTY,
> for reference) who uses grub as a boot loader.
>
> If you are talking about headless booting (as opposed to blind users),
> I suspect that this is easy to configure as well with grub...
>
> Why would you *not* use grub? Take a look at the features it provides
> far above and beyond what lilo provides...

No, I am talking about blind users, and I've exchanged email with your
father many times.

I'm also aware that grub can work well enough for many blind users. But,
I never said differently. I said it was a step backwards. See my other
response for some details.

> mark
>
> --
> mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________
> .  .  _  ._  . .   .__    .  . ._. .__ .   . . .__  | Neighbourhood Coder
> |\/| |_| |_| |/    |_     |\/|  |  |_  |   |/  |_   |
> |  | | | | \ | \   |__ .  |  | .|. |__ |__ | \ |__  | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
>
>   One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all
>                        and in the darkness bind them...
>
>                            http://mark.mielke.cc/
>

> --

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group