LILO

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 20 21:49:14 UTC 2003

From: "Janina Sajka" <janina at rednote.net>

> Jef Spaleta writes:
> > From: Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at princeton.edu>
> >
> > Janina Sajka wrote:
> >
> > > 2.) Interface to a serial device
> >
> > From the commands info subsection of the grub infopage:
> >
> > general commands:
> > * serial::                      Set up a serial device
> >  - Command: serial [`--unit=unit'] [`--port=port'] [`--speed=speed']
> >           [`--word=word'] [`--parity=parity'] [`--stop=stop']
> >           [`--device=dev']
> >
> > * terminal::                    Choose a terminal
> > - Command: terminal [`--dumb'] [`--no-echo'] [`--no-edit']
> >           [`--timeout=secs'] [`--lines=lines'] [`--silent'] [`console']
> >           [`serial'] [`hercules']
> >
> > There is an info subsection for serial terminals as well
> > Might even want to look at the "preset menu" info subsection.
>
> Yes, I was not clear about this one. This is very helpful, but there is
> a second, requirement to just send a text message to a (possibly
> present, possibly absent) serial device without establishing a full
> interface.
>
> I suppose that should have been two items.

Jef, read Janina's signature block. It will place you into a better
framework for understanding what is needed here. (This is an ussue
on which I have gotten into VERY heated arguments. I'm also about to
take on the FCC about licensing amateur radio operators who cannot
copy Morse Code by ear simply because they cannot hear it. I tend to
support simple measures that eliminate needless barriers to those
who may lack some of my abilities.)

{^_-}