lilo vs grub

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Oct 21 11:29:48 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 05:56, Mark Mielke wrote:

> Your argument would have substance, if, for example, lilo was a competitive
> alternative that was actively maintained (KDE vs GNOME for example).

Why do you keep making this bizarre claim that LILO is not maintained?
I just looked for "lilo released" in comp.os.linux.announce
and see the following on the first page.
(I didn't even catch the most recent version, which came out a few days ago.)

LILO version 22.5.3 released
comp.os.linux.announce - 10 May 2003 by johninsd at san dot rr dot com - View
Thread (2 articles)

LILO version 22.5.2 released
comp.os.linux.announce - 1 May 2003 by johninsd at san dot rr dot com - View
Thread (1 article)

LILO version 22.5.5 released
comp.os.linux.announce - 16 Jun 2003 by johninsd at san dot rr dot com - View
Thread (1 article)

Ps Like you, I don't use LILO,
but that is no reason to denigrate it as you continually do.

Incidentally, my search led me to look at some of the esoteric things
the latest LILO can do,
and it seems to me rather improbable that grub can do them all.
(I don't want to do any of them, so it doesn't make me want to use LILO,
but I assume there are people with these strange needs.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366