lilo vs grub

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Tue Oct 21 14:09:44 UTC 2003

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I find these remarks quite extraordinary.
> I see new versions of LILO advertised almost weekly.

http://home.san.rr.com/johninsd/pub/linux/lilo/CHANGES as of 10/9/2003
vs.
latest grub I see is 0.93 with a changelog date of 12/4/2002

Now I like grub over lilo.  I got sick of this dang "LI" messages whenever
my systems wouldn't boot.  Maybe LILO has overcome that problem.  And I can
totally blame LILO because I know RedHat has distributed older packages
before which break under new environments.

Anyway, there one of two possibilities here:
1. Lilo is indeed growing more superior than grub because of its active
development.  There have been a ton of changes to lilo since the last
release of grub.
2. Grub doesn't need to do be patched rather extensively because it's
forward-looking engineering is already compensating for the new systems.
Therefor grub is as mature as it needs to be (for now).

Looking at the changelogs, I didn't realize how much lilo has grown up till
now.  Maybe I should rethink my preference if possibility #2 proves false.
-eric wood