Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

Joe joe at tmsusa.com
Wed Oct 22 05:42:52 UTC 2003

Jesse Keating wrote:

>On Tuesday 21 October 2003 22:25, Joe uttered:
>

>>I think his point is that all fc t3 users will have problems with these
>>games. Dismissing him with a wave of the hand because he's using an
>>nvidia card may work for awhile, but eventually there may be some brave
>>souls who venture to attempt games with non-nvidia cards, and when they
>>see the same problems and worse, the problems will get the attention
>>they really should be getting now - you create a sort of vicious cycle
>>when nvidia cards are really the only practical choice for a linux
>>gamer, but users of nvidia cards are shouted down when reporting bugs.
>>
>>I hope the development community finds a better response than dumping on
>>nvidia, since nvidia might just decide it's too damn much trouble to
>>support linux - and then we'll really be out of luck.
>>

>The very first suggestion was made to duplicate the issue on a non-nvidia
>card.  It's pretty difficult to fix something you have no access to.

Sure, that's an idea - if someone just happens to have a good, linux
supported 3D card laying around that he can just pop in - that is an
option for some, but not all.

> Would
>you consider rebuilding your carborator to fix a leak if you didn't have the
>manual in front of you, or somebody to walk you through it?

If the problem was clearly not the carburetor, I wouln't bother
rebuilding it :)

>The only way that these reports _can_ be taken seriously is if they are
>duplicated by a non-tainted kernel.

Sure, I know that's the technical explanation, and there may be some
justification for it - but it does seem very counter productive - how on
earth do you troubleshoot performance problems with oracle databases
running on linux? Do you immediately refuse, since you don't have the
source code to oracle?

Surely there is a happy medium here somwhere, and we'll need to find it
if linux is to gain greater acceptance.

Joe