removable media

Wed Oct 22 15:27:16 UTC 2003

> >2. 32Meg samsung usb jumpdrive:  Same /dev/sda and /dev/sdb errors, the
> >floppy drive is accessed, and it doesn't add to /etc/fstab nor automount.
> >
> Haven't been paying close attention to this point these days, but don't
> these things still have to be dealt with manually first go?  I mean

Im my experience yes.  In debian, it's no surprise, but I thoguht with
Kudzu, they would at least be added at reboot (especially from the
"updating fstab" message), but it just doesn't seem to happen.  (Yet in
mandrake, they get added, and mounted in real time somehow).

> making a manual fstab entry, creating a mount point, and then, after
> that, mounting the thing however you like?  Or has something marvelous
> changed? Does seem that now once an entry has been added to the fstab,
> the mountpoint specificed therein immediately appears in the Disks
> submenu when you right click on yoru GNOME desktop...

this is what I have done for an SDRAM <-> PCMCIA adaptor and USB HDDs, I
just have to set up manually.

Also, I wonder how one configures Magicdev to work with other devices.  I
have looked, and found almozt zero documentation on magicdev (I wanted to
use it in debian at one point).  And, on my FC1t3 desktop, it doesn't work
on either CD drive at all.  On other machines I have installed, it seems
to work ok... maybe it doesn't like multiple CD drives?

 -- noah silva