Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Wed Oct 22 15:53:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 10:26, Joe wrote:
> Steve Bergman wrote:
>

> It's interesting to hear that the stability and speed of the radeon are
> catching up to the nvidia - perhaps I'll try another ATI card soon and
> see for myself - but in the meantime, how much do you want for that
> nvidia? :-)

I suffered with the open source radeon drivers for my Radeon QD for over
a year, experiencing periodic lock ups when switching between X and
VC's, and living with inferior speed, inferior 3D video quality, and
unsupported hardware features.  Not to mention that ATI had come out
with the 8000 series, and then the 9000 series, totally unsupported by
the open source driver, and that driver still didn't even fully support
the original radeon.  I finally broke down and got a geforce2 and later
replaced that with a geforce 4 MX440. (Oh, the shame!  It's a bit like
using the One Ring, I suppose...)

Happily, I now like my Radeon 9100 better than the G4MX440.

I notice that sometime between the release of severn 1 and the present,
the driver performance seems to have improved siginificantly.  I think
Fedeora is using a later driver than standard XFree 4.3?

I can run RTWC with all the stops pulled out, 1280x102, 32 bit,
everything set to high, extra, "you crazy" (it's a RTCW thing),
trilinear, etc and performance is good on my AMD XP 2100+/Radeon 9100
AGP system.  AGP 4X works without flaw on my via chipset.

Like I say, it took a loooong time, but the drivers are now prety good.

On the negative side, the (rather hard to find) 9100 is the most
advanced chipset supported (or the 9200 or old 8500 if you are one of
the people who feel that those are better boards).