lilo vs grub

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Oct 22 18:04:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:01:01AM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:

> OK, so I've spent over an hour looking through the "info" pages.  In fact,
> I've even zgrep'ed through it, I CANNOT FIND THIS OPTION.

This docs are, unfortunately, obsolete and 'once' is not described
there.  Jeremy probably glimpsed that bit from sources.

As an aside here is how to check that in few short seconds (assuming
that you are not using emacs and its interface to info - what a
sensible human beeing would do).  Type 'info grub' and hit 's' key.
Type 'once' for a search string and hit "Enter".  Repeat 's' and
"Enter" few times to find out that what are trying to find is
not really there.  You should be done below 20 seconds.

> Personally, I think the grub info pages are great for the grub developers.
> They are completely horrible for the end user or even the average system admin.

Actually info is a very nice hypelinked format which allows to find
out very quickly a desired information in bigger documents.  Even
nicer if you happen to have only a text terminal to work with.  It
beats anything html hands down.  Only it pays greatly to type once
'info info' and to follow a suggestion of hitting 'h' key there.

There are also other 'info' readers.

  Michal