.xinitrc and .xession not being read?

Joshua Legbandt jtlegbandt at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 00:08:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 08:06, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Joshua Legbandt wrote:
>
> >Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:35:03 -0700
> >From: Joshua Legbandt <jtlegbandt at earthlink.net>
> >To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> >Subject: .xinitrc and .xession not being read?
> >
> >Since I've upgraded to the fedora core 1 test series from Red Hat 9
> >(originally to post severn rawhide) and started logging in through gdm,
> >I've noticed that my .xinitrc and my .xsession (one is a symbolic link
> >to the other) are not getting invoked. Specifically, I have the
> >following lines that are not being executed via my .xsession:
> >
> >xset fp+ /home/finn/.xfonts
> >xset fp rehash
>
> Red Hat Linux by default uses "xfs" for serving fonts, and the X
> server is not used for serving fonts.  The "xset fp" commands
> tell the X server (not xfs) to manipulate it's fontpath and
> add/remove/refresh/etc. the X server font path only.  If your X
> server is not reconfigured to allow this to work properly, by
> enabling the various font modules in the Modules section of the
> X server config file, if you try to add font paths with xset to
> the X server and those FPEs contain fonts that the X server does
> not have a module loaded to handle, then the request will be
> ignored as the X server isn't capable of doing what you've asked
> in its current configuration.

I don't think that this is the case, as I am able to run the xset
commands after X is started and the fonts work as expected.

> >I've only noticed this now, not months ago, due to the fact that
> >I am now using xterm to connect to certain hosts that behave
> >funny when I use gnome-terminal. Had I never had to connect to
> >the hosts, and hence use xterm, I probably would never have
> >noticed this. Anyone have any ideas on why this is occurring?
>
> You might want to put the fonts in ~/.fonts instead and use
> xterm with the -fa switch to get antialiased fonts using the
> fontconfig/Xft client side font mechanism instead of the aging
> legacy core fonts subsystem.

Interesting idea. I'll give that a try, but one of the reasons that I
like my non-aliased bitmap fonts is that they stay sharp, unlike the
truetype fonts that are unused by default. I tend to like small text,
which has led me to use 6 point fonts in the majority of my system, and
even 5.5 point fonts for xchat. I have to do this since the resolution
on my screen is 118x115 dpi (as reported by xdpyinfo) and I have my
resolution set to 118dpi in the gnome font rendering preferences. I've
wondered if there is a better way to keep my fonts sharp at small point
sizes.

> Hope this helps.

It gives me something to work with, as I always I appreciate the info.

Cheers,
josh

--
Joshua Legbandt <jtlegbandt at earthlink.net>