Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 08:39:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, nosp wrote:

>> The Nvidia libGL, and the Mesa libGL explicitly conflict with
>> each other.  There is no way to cleanly make them coexist
>> currently.
>>
>> I think I should make this conflict explicit in the rpm rather
>> than users continuously experiencing unknown libGL problems when
>> installing Nvidia's drivers.  This would make it much easier for
>> people using Nvidia proprietary drivers to use them with less
>> troublesome and hard to diagnose conflicts.
>>
>> I'll investigate doing this in our next build.
>
>I suppose it's not as simple as letting X install without the Mesa
>rpm?   I'd gladly not install that if it meant I didn't have to
>re-install my nvidia drivers after every Mesa upgrade from rawhide.  I
>must be doing something basic wrong: although the rpm doesn't seem to be
>a dependency of anything, apt wants to rip X & everything that uses it
>out if I try to remove the Mesa rpm:
>
># rpm -q --whatrequires XFree86-Mesa-libGL
>no package requires XFree86-Mesa-libGL
># apt-get remove XFree86-Mesa-libGL
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>[snip]
>0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 257 removed and 0 not upgraded.
>Need to get 0B of archives.
>After unpacking 994MB disk space will be freed.
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n[o friggin way]

That just shows you're using a method that is inherently
flawed/broken to try to uninstall the package.  I don't recommend
using apt for anything ever.  Use yum, or use rpm directly.

rpm -e XFree86-Mesa-libGL --nodeps

Normally the --nodeps would be strongly advised against for any
other command.  In this case the idea is "We know we're
uninstalling this package intentionally because we are installing
an alternative package which provides the same functionality to
the applications that require this one".

Then install the Nvidia stuff.  Even then I believe they destroy
the XFree86 GLX module.