Open GL screensaver crashes X

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 12:18:16 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Johnny Ljunggren wrote:

>> > I'm using a Matrox G450 on a freshly installed FCt3-system with no
>> > updates (yet). Whenever the screensaver kicks in, and an Open GL-saver
>> > is the next in line, X crashes.
>
>> Do OpenGL programs crash under normal use? Does it happen if you run the
>> screensavers from the commandline?
>
>They don't crash under normal use. Both glxgears (program) and
>glforestfire (screensaver) works ok from the commandline. Maybe the
>problem is related to me running dual head, and the matrox card is
>unable to hardware accelerate screen 2? If I start glforestfire and drag
>the window to screen two, the window is rendered all black, but it
>doesn't crash though.

Xinerama + DRI isn't implemented.  You can either use Xinerama or
use DRI.  Trying to use both at once wont work, not for another
couple XFree86 releases at least.

I'm told the Matrox driver has a MergedFB option which may or may
not work by skipping xinerama and doing merged framebuffer in the
video driver itself, however I've never tried it, and I dunno if
it's in 4.3.0 or just in CVS head.  I haven't looked at the mga
source for quite some time, so buyer beware.  ;o)