Speakup in kernel

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at prince.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 24 13:20:46 UTC 2003

Hi all.
I understand that Speakup currently has some technical issues that are keeping it out of the Fedora distribution.
However, there is, in my opinion, a more viable alternative called YASR.  It doesn't run in the kernel, and runs as a
stand-alone program that can be started ONLY if a person needs it.  Is it possible that this package could be tested for
inclusion, possibly configured with an interface to Festival?  I think this would solve the problems some people are
having about console screen readers, although I'm not sure if anyone is currently maintaining an RPM for this software.
A quick check got me only the source tarball.  It would, however, be easy enough to build the RPM package, and probably
easier than building one for Speakup.

Prince