Open GL screensaver crashes X

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 14:25:04 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 08:18, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> >> Do OpenGL programs crash under normal use? Does it happen if you run the
> >> screensavers from the commandline?
> >
> >They don't crash under normal use. Both glxgears (program) and
> >glforestfire (screensaver) works ok from the commandline. Maybe the
> >problem is related to me running dual head, and the matrox card is
> >unable to hardware accelerate screen 2? If I start glforestfire and drag
> >the window to screen two, the window is rendered all black, but it
> >doesn't crash though.
>
> Xinerama + DRI isn't implemented.  You can either use Xinerama or
> use DRI.  Trying to use both at once wont work, not for another
> couple XFree86 releases at least.
>
> I'm told the Matrox driver has a MergedFB option which may or may
> not work by skipping xinerama and doing merged framebuffer in the
> video driver itself, however I've never tried it, and I dunno if
> it's in 4.3.0 or just in CVS head.  I haven't looked at the mga
> source for quite some time, so buyer beware.  ;o)

But it certainly shouldn't crash the server even if it doesn't work.
The interesting questions are:

 a) is it all OpenGL screensavers or just some of them
 b) does running OpenGL screensavers manually crash the server
    (E.g, run /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/sproingies)
 c) any log messages for XFree86 when it crashes? (Look in
    /var/log/XFree86.0.log)

Regards,
						Owen