Beep on X11 login screen

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sat Oct 25 01:46:00 UTC 2003

The beep is not a problem for me. I liked the PCMCIA loading succeeded
beeps and don't mind having additional indicators that certain functions
have completed.

The hiding of process information and the distraction that a simple beep
indication causes is sort of interesting from a psychological observation.

One visual improvement that I noticed was a break from the smurf blue
ICON themes from the RHL9 beta days. I like the ICONs that each program
picked for their representation.

For the sightless, their might be some differential audio feedback
representative for each application, once the ICON is hovered over. To
reduce the distraction for those that might find this feature
distracting. This might be handled by selecting an accessibility
selection on install.

As a sighted person, I like to have launcher ICONs on my screens lower
and upper edges for programs that I like to use. Adding something like
that, with a consistent location for the mouse pointer would be an aid
for navigation for the sightless and for the sighted as well.

Just my thoughts regarding making Linux more of a paved road, instead of
a frontier, for all users.

Jim

--
Fourth Law of Revision:
	It is usually impractical to worry beforehand about