Fedora and LG CD-RW Drives

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Sat Oct 25 04:05:26 UTC 2003

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 12:28:03AM +0300, Razvan Corneliu C.R. d3vi1 VILT wrote:
> From what they wrote on the Mandrake web-site I can imagine only that
> the firmware gets screwed-up somehow by Linux, and that's odd... They
> should also say which part of their distribution does that, because if
> it's the kernel, it's a serious problem.

Some more detail here:
http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-10/msg02437.php

It seems that the drives are being killed by a packet writing patch
that was introduced into the Mandrake kernel on August 15th.

(One of my systems has an LG drive and is running Mandrake 9.2, but I
don't know if it's vulnerable to this problem since it runs arjanv's
2.6.0-test kernels rather than the Mandrake kernels.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>