metacity question

nosp nosp at xades.com
Sun Oct 26 21:52:23 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 17:44, Ryan G. wrote:
> Yes, thanks for the response but I'd like the window MINIMIZED not
> toggled between maximized and un-maximized.  In other words I'd like
> the window to "dissapear" from the screen ;-) when the title bar is
> double clicked, that is what minimize means yes?  Don't want to confuse
> things using the wrong word.

Yeah, good job by me for reading your mail so closely.

As others have reported this does not seem like a supported feature.

To make up for my over-quick reading of your mail I hacked your feature
in to the latest rawhide metacity.  I've tested it on my FC1T3 build and
I can now double-click on the titlebar to minimize the window -- it's a
very small patch so it may crash your machine but it works for me.

Here are links to the rpm and src rpms (you probably just need the first
one):
http://www.xades.com/proj/metacity-2.6.2-1.i386.rpm
http://www.xades.com/proj/metacity-debuginfo-2.6.2-1.i386.rpm
http://www.xades.com/proj/metacity-2.6.2-1.src.rpm

Alternately, here are links to the patch and the updated (one line) spec
file:
http://www.xades.com/proj/metacity-2.6.2-titlebar-dl-click-minimize.patch
http://www.xades.com/proj/metacity.spec

Once you install the updated RPM (rpm -ivh --force <rpm>) you have to
run this (all one line) since there is no GUI support for enabling the
feature yet :) :

---
gconftool-2 -s /apps/metacity/general/action_double_click_titlebar
"toggle_minimize" -t string
---

I have not contacted the metacity folks so of course they may not accept
this patch, although it is a minor one.  After seeing the behavior in
action, I can see that since it is not reversible by double-clicking on
the titlebar (since obviously the window is now minimized), it may
violate some design/UI principles anyway.