Window management (was Re: metacity question)

Lauri Jutila lists at reforge.fi
Sun Oct 26 23:18:57 UTC 2003

> > Metacity is a simple window manager for basic stuff anyone can in theory
> > use. Its like complaining gedit isnt fully emacs equivalent, you don't
> > 'fix gedit' you use emacs.
>
> point taken. "Always on Top" is not what i would consider an exotic
> feature though.
>
> neil

Ok, I decided to go back to old stomping grounds and install
Enlightenment, v. 0.16.6-pre-something. Little bit tweaking around the
configurations and I got it running as default WM. Everything seems to
be OK and I get all the goodies Metacity lacks.

To all considering switching out of Metacity, Enlightenment has the
following neat, geeky and productive features:
* multiple layers for windows (below, normal, above, on top)
* sticky windows
* window grouping for easier multiple window management
* different border styles (borderless, border only, etc.)
* E remembers window settings such as location, size and desktop

I whole-heartedly recommend E as a window manager to everyone who thinks
Metacity (or even sawfish) doesn't just cut it. The project seems to be
still quite active, SF.net's project page shows 95+% activity and latest
release was in this month. E's home is at http://www.enlightenment.org.

Only annoyance is that when gnome-panel starts, it places the panel
somewhere in the middle of the screen. I have to go panel settings every
time and set it manually to top again to get where it should be in my
preferences.

Any chance of getting E included in Fedora? It was still in Red Hat
7.3/8 IIRC.

--
Lauri Jutila
Chief Linux Fellow, Reforge