Speakup in kernel

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Oct 28 16:11:52 UTC 2003

Alan Cox writes:
> From: Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com>
>
> > Oh, it's clear RH has no intention. What is now also clear is that the
> > reasoning is highly suspect. In fact, prejudicial against persons with
> > disabilities. Not hard to make that case from this thread.
>
> The open software world is built around doing things right. The question
> isn't about "do we support blind users" its about "how do we do it right".
>
> The questions about things like the removal of serial ports from new PC's
> have to be answered meaningfully

I would certainly not disagree about doing things right.

I am, however, concerned about too great an emphasis on what might
happen tomorrow when the need today is evident and a popular approach
readily at hand.

So, in the hope of insuring that this issue move forward appropriately
and expeditously ...

1.)	Does Kirk now have a list of immediate concerns in sufficient
detail to respond with appropriate technical detail?

2.)	Is that list comprehensive?

I ask these two questions because the email on which I was cc'd, while
providing a list, did not provide specifics. In particular, the security
concerns regarding /proc were not specified. Furthermore, in his
response, he indicated that he had not received any specifics that
documented a security issue--only the vague concern that use of /proc
might do so.

3.)	Do you have any objection to my pinging on this issue monthly?

> --

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group