applications:///

Ryan ruinaudio at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 17:28:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 11:11, Ryan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure my initial email made it to the list (I just set up a new
> "list only" email account).
>
> I've read on the gnome-devel list that Redhat removed the ability to
> edit applications:///
>
> I'm wondering if this is true and if so what the reasoning behind this
> is?  And also how I can fix things so that I can edit menus.
>
> thanks all,
> -ry

For those others out there (few though they may be) who would like to be
able to edit applications:/// try these instructions at your own risk
(they're pulled verbatim from
http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~matt/repository.html and they worked fine for
me).

Menu-editing in RedHat 9
      * To enable menu editing per user config (via nautilus), you need
        to open a terminal and do the following:

        su -
        <give root password>
        cd /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules
        cp default-modules.conf default-modules.conf-no-menu-editing
        cp default-modules.conf.with-menu-editing default-modules.conf

        For any user you want to have the right to edit their menu, you
        also need to do this as the user:

        cd ~/.gnome2/vfolders
        cp /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu
        applications.vfolder-info

      * When gnome-panel is restarted (via logout/login or kill) the
        user will be able to see the changes they have made to their
        menu.

Enjoy,
-ry