who else is doing all this on an inspiron 8100?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 30 12:21:17 UTC 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Andy Green wrote:

> 2.6test9 is working, but I cannot recook the nvidia drivers even with the
> minion.de patches, so I am running the latest RH 2.4, since I need twinview.
> nvidia's drivers are definitely the sore thumb of proprietaryness.
>
> Important tip.... the synaptics XF86 driver worked great on my Inspiron8000
> but for whatever reason causes hard lockups on the 5150, so don't bother.

although i've seen several solutions for building the latest nvidia
drivers (involving setting CC and IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH, etc.), i've been
doing the same thing for months and it's never failed.

i download the .run file from nvidia, and run it with "--extract-only"
to unload the contents.  then i patch with the stuff from www.minion.de.
finally, at the top level of that extracted directory, i run (as root)

# make install

i have yet to have a problem, and this technique has worked all through
RH 9, FC and 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  like they say, if it ain't broke,
don't fix it.  (or is that, if it ain't broke, it needs an upgrade?)

rday