N00b Alert: up2date CLI and kernels

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Thu Oct 30 21:15:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 11:49, The Matt wrote:
> First, is there a command-line flag to allow up2date --nox to upgrade
> the kernels I have installed?  I'm sure I can undo some configuration
> line, but I like not having kernels upgraded willy-nilly.

The /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date file will probably show you (unless
you've changed the default behavior) that running "up2date kernel" will
only install a new kernel, not remove the old one and replace it with
the new one.

> Second, I want to also get kernel-BOOT, something I've never tried
> before.  Do I just use "up2date kernel-BOOT" to download and install it,
> or as above, is there a flag I'll need?

Umm... why? The kernel-BOOT package is not something you probably care
to use on a real system, because it only includes the limited
functionality needed to boot the installation sets. It can be useful for
making your own custom boot disks in cases where you have systems with
specific hardware that you want to install onto, but it's really no fun
to use on an installed system. Even then, you don't need to install it
to perform those kind of tasks.

> Third, will kernel-BOOT show up in my lilo.conf as kernels usually do,
> or does it skip it?

It will appear there, if you feel you have to disregard the above
advice.

> Thanks for answering any of my dumb questions.

No problem, but it's probably better in the future to please take
questions like this to fedora-list. This list, fedora-test-list, is
specifically for people looking to squash bugs in the current release,
not for day-to-day help in running the system. Best of luck to you and
cheers.
--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE