ok, graphical boot, one more time

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 17:35:15 UTC 2003

  all right, i have some intriguing observations to report.  but first, i
want to settle this "rhgb" boot-line option.  can someone point me to
where this option has any effect *at* *all*?

  i have gone over these two files:

	/etc/sysconfig/init
	/etc/rc.sysinit

and it *appears* that whether or not you get a graphical boot is tested in
/etc/rc.sysinit, and is based *solely* on the following:

	RHGB_STARTED=0
	GRAPHICAL=yes
	BOOTUP=color
	access to /usr/bin/rhgb

  there is, AFAICT, no test *anywhere* that looks for the option "rhgb" on
the boot line.  OTOH, the file /etc/rc.sysinit *does* check for the
boot-line option "nogui" to *prevent* the graphical boot. so ... who wants
to explain how the option "rhgb" means anything, and where it's tested. in
short, i see "nogui" to prevent a graphical boot if it's turned on.  i see
no "rhgb" test to activate a graphical boot if it's turned off.

  second, if you check /etc/rc.sysinit, whether you get a graphical boot
early depends on whether /usr is a separate filesystem.  if it is, you
can't get a graphical boot since /usr/bin/rhgb isn't even available yet.
so that first conditional is skipped early in the file.

  however, the whole test is done again around line 560 where, by now,
/usr is mounted and it should work.  at least, that's the theory.
in my case, though, what i get when the line "/usr/bin/rhgb" is run
is

  umount2: Invalid argument.
  umount: /initrd: not mounted.

printed twice.  what the ...?  i'd seen these crop up recently and
was planning on tracking them down at some point, but it never occurred
to me to associate them with the second invocation of rhgb.

  can anyone explain what these mean?  that might go a long way to
clearing this up.  well, at least for me.

rday