Installing Severn on a Sony 505VE laptop - broken?

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Sat Sep 6 21:34:29 UTC 2003

I am trying to get Severn installed on a Sony 505ve laptop.  I have
installed a number of other versions on it with no problem.

When i install, it boots of the PCMCIA cd-rom.  When i select "Local
CD-ROM" as the install media, it claims that it cannot find a driver for
that device.

The pcmcia cd-rom normally uses the ide-floppy driver.  It is loaded on
boot.

I have tried using the pcmdiadd.img to load the ide-cd driver.  It does
not want to see it unless I use "linux dd" on boot.  (It does not show
up on the list of additional drivers if I try to load the driver disk
later.)

"linux ide1=0x180" does not work either. (Which used to be the fix for
this problem on older installs.)

It just refuses to see the cd-rom drive.

Ideas?  I would do an NFS install, but the laptop has only one pcmcia
slot and that is eaten by the cd-rom drive.

Since this has worked with other versions, I am assuming that it is a
bug.  Just not certain what is going on.  I may have to build a custom
version and try that...

--
Alan <alan at clueserver.org>