RH10 multimedia support

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 7 12:15:37 UTC 2003

Féliciano Matias wrote:
> Le sam 06/09/2003 à 01:08, Michael Schwendt a écrit :

>>On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:03:14 -0700, Joseph Phillips wrote:
>>

>>>One of the worst experiences for me was trying to setup mplayer on RH9. It
>>>still doesn't work right. I get skins errors, and the codecs didn't get
>>>setup right, and I had lib problems when compiling from source. Just a plain
>>>pain in the butt.
>>
>>Have you tried the prebuilt mplayer packages and other movie players
>>from Fedora Linux before?
>>
>>  http://www.fedora.us
>>

> And this is really simple to have a movie player.
>
> For freshrpms with yum (it's the same form fedora and/or apt) :
> # rpm -i http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/yum/yum-2.0.1-1.rh.fr.i386.rpm
> # yum install mplayer
>  or
> # yum install xine
>
> That's all.

So, I did that, all successfully for xine in RHL9.  I put in a dvd and
xine automatically came up.  I clicked on its DVD button and got two
error boxes:

- xine engine error -
Input plugin failed to open mrl 'dvd:/'

and

The source can't be read.
Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't
contain data (e.g: not disc in dirve). (/dev/dvd)

/dev/dvd is a link to /dev/scd1 which is my dvd drive.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks.

Gerry Tool